Friday, March 13, 2009

B-i-n-g-o

Yesterday, I decided to sit in on the Thursday Bingo in the visitation center which is starting to draw a pretty good-sized crowd. Each week they pop popcorn and have a table of prizes ranging from soaps and lotions to dolls, underwear and razors. It’s fun to see how intense the competition gets for all of these fairly inexpensive prizes. My favorite winner was the guy who picked out a pair of pink slippers for his “lady.” After thinking about it for a little while, I realized it’s not about the prizes, but rather, it’s about a sense of accomplishment they receive from winning.

It made me think about the need to strike the delicate balance between necessary handouts and the ultimate goal of helping clients become self-sufficient. The clients as a whole at SVdP are certainly appreciative of the services they receive, but the pride and gratitude they have after helping themselves is on an entirely different level. It can be seen at the graduation for our transitional employees and the kitchen of champions. It can also be seen in the men’s center with the guys who like to earn their keep by sweeping up the floors or emptying the trash.

I guess the desire to be valued and capable is basic human nature. This week a guy who went through the December Homeless Court came in to thank me for my help and to let me know he’d recently found a job. It was a brief conversation, but it was genuine and true, and exactly what I needed to hear. Just when I start to question whether I’m doing any good at all, something like that seems to happen where I’m reminded that the work we do is indeed worthwhile.



"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." -Albert Schweitzer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story. Love the quote.