Friday, February 13, 2009

Another week at SVdP.

This week has been cold and a little wet and I’ve felt slightly under the weather, so I’ll keep this post short.

Yesterday we had over 40 participants in the Homeless Court come to St. Vincent de Paul to meet with public defender Diane Bellas in preparation for court this coming Friday. Essentially everyone was told to show up at 9:30 in the morning and it was a first come first serve process, so for some it was a very long day of waiting. But in general, all of the clients were extremely patient and thankful to be a part of the program. It was also a great chance to talk with the clients and hear their stories. Many told me about their past jail experiences, drug addiction, divorces, children and what ultimately led many of them to recovery and made them want to turn their lives around. I’ve written about it before, but I continue to be struck by the honesty that many of our clients exhibit when talking about their problems and struggles. I will admit that I’m still shocked by some of the things they tell me, but I’m always impressed with their truth and dignity, which are qualities we should all strive for.

This afternoon there was another graduation for the latest class of culinary students and transitional employees. It was great to see what the students had accomplished and to sample some of the delicious food they made for the final project, but I really had trouble believing that another six weeks had passed. This year is starting to pick up steam.

And now it’s time for a much needed three-day weekend…

No comments: