Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year!

After spending Christmas home in Colorado, and New Year’s Eve in the city, a visit to the San Jose JV house and a couple of days spent on the couch watching college football bowl games, I am indeed back to work.

It felt good to wake up at a decent hour and ride my bike to work. It was especially nice to see everyone again and get back into a routine. Also, my Monday homeless court orientation was well-attended, my voicemail inbox was full and the guys in the men’s center were excited to see me, which was a nice start to my week.

Last night, for the second time this week I was the only one of my housemates who made it past 9:30, and I think that’s only because I took a nap after work. There is a slight chance we all have mono, but mostly I think it’s a combination of our drafty apartment, cold weather and the sun still setting early. For me at least, there’s a sense that this whole JVC thing is no longer a crazy adventure in California, but rather, it’s our real lives for the next eight months. Those in JVC who are applying to grad schools have finished up their applications and some have already heard back, and those looking for jobs are starting to realize that August, like the mythical year 2000, will eventually come. It’s an oxymoronic test in planning for the future, while living in the present moment and making the most of our remaining time.

No comments: