Thursday, December 18, 2008

I made it...to Christmas

Ho! Ho! Ho!

With Christmas approaching and cold weather hitting the bay area, things have been busy here at St. Vincent de Paul.

The women’s center has been busy giving away stacks and stacks of clothes and toys to families in need. Like many of the services provided at SVdP, I have been impressed with the honesty, dignity and gratitude that the clients have displayed.

The transition at the men’s center has been going well. A few of the guys weren’t too pleased to see a new guy running the center at first, but after realizing the new guy was now the one handing out bus tickets, razors, toothbrushes and that the hours would be extended, they seemed to adjust pretty quickly.

I looked over some of my first blog posts the other day, and though they’re only four months old, it felt like they had been written a very, very long time ago. The phrase that former JV’s always use when talking about the program is “ruined for life.” I’m not sure what that actually means, but all in all I don’t think I’ve changed a huge amount thus far. It’s been interesting, and a growing process as I’ve become comfortable working with the homeless, but I don’t think it’s transformed me, and definitely hasn’t ruined me.

I’m excited to head home this Saturday for 10 days to see my family, meet up with a few friends, go skiing and eat some good food. Though, the thing I’m looking forward to most is getting away from my roommates. Don’t get me wrong, they are all good people with the exception of maybe two or three of them (that’s funny because there are only three of them!), but a break is definitely needed.

This year has made me appreciate my family and friends more than ever before. Living on a small stipend this year has allowed me to see that lack of money is just one obstacle the homeless face. I’ve seen that we can provide clothes, food, job training and help with shelter, but the one thing we can’t give out—the greatest gift of all--is a network of supportive and loving family and friends.



“In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it 'Christmas' and went to church; the Jews called it 'Hanukkah' and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Happy Hanukkah!' or (to the atheists) 'Look out for the wall!'” -Dave Barry

No comments: